Friday, September 6, 2013

Are You Ready For Some Football? And Some Cheese Fries?















Last night was the NFL season opener and even though the Saints weren't playing, I was still just as excited. You see, I LOVE football. NFL football, college football, high school football, pee wee football, flag football, the football you play with a paper ball and finger goals instead of doing your schoolwork. I love it ALL! February through August is a rough time for me. No football for six months. Sometimes I watch game re-runs on ESPN Classic or the NFL Network. I anxiously await the NFL draft, because it's a little taste of what's to come, and I desperately count down the days until pre-season football starts. My team doesn't play until Sunday, but we will play the Falcons (or as I like to call them, the "Dirty Birds") at home in the Superdome, and it will be a great game. Our coach is back, our team is strong, and we've got a lot to prove. I can't wait. For the game AND for the delicious food that always goes hand in hand with football!

So, I thought I'd share one of my family's favorite game day recipes - ooey, gooey, yummy, messy Cheese Fries. We had these at a sports bar type restaurant years ago and they were pretty good. But I thought I might could make them better at home, so I gave it a shot one Sunday evening. They turned out even better than I expected and the Hub-n-Bub gobbled them up in record time! Now they are a Sunday tradition during football season and since the Bub has gotten old enough to cook for himself, he fixes them when he has friends over. That requires COPIUS amounts of fries and cheese for big teenage boys, you know. Give these a try for any occasion - they are fantastic!

Game Day Cheese Fries

1 bag frozen french fries

Ranch dresssing

1 bag shredded cheddar or mixed cheese

8 slices crumbled bacon

2 Tablespoons green onions, chopped

Large platter or plate for serving

Preheat oven according to french fry directions and bake for the recommended amount of time. In the meantime, chop your green onions and prepare your bacon. When I'm pressed for time or just don't feel like frying bacon, I use real bacon bits (not the crunchy, fake kind) and crisp them up in the microwave. Spread a layer of ranch dressing on your platter or plate. Place cooked fries on top of the ranch dressing. Layer bacon, green onions, and cheese - I usually use a little more than half the bag - on top of the fries. If your platter is oven proof, you can stick it back in the oven for the cheese to melt or you can just melt the cheese in the microwave. Drizzle with more ranch dressing before serving. Play ball! I mean, ENJOY!

Do you have favorite game day recipes that your family loves? Share them in the comments if you like. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

Toodles,
Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment