Monday, January 20, 2014

Craigslist Diamond In The Rough

Happy Monday everybody!  I hope y'all had a great weekend.  Did you get any New Year organizing done? I'm mid-closet organization at the moment.  I got some done in the hall closets on Saturday, but not much yesterday due to two very important football games! I'll have the before and after pics for you on Wednesday.  In the meantime, I thought you might like to see the rough headboard that I bought for $25 on Craigslist and transformed into a glorious diamond.  Well, maybe not glorious, but it's real pretty!  It weighs a ton and is a very solid piece of furniture.  The owner had sawed off one of the legs to get it up some stairs and reattached it (badly) with Gorilla glue. It took a little rigging to fix, but the Hub got it back to working order and I set about making it beautiful.


Here's the before.  You can see where the cut leg was repaired.  The glue had leaked out and spilled all down the side of the leg and it was about 2 inches shorter than the other leg.  It took my husband a lot of work, but it looks much better now and you can't really see it because of the nightstand.


A close-up after one coat of paint.


The finished headboard.  It took a while to paint and wax, but it was SO worth it.


Finally set up in our bedroom.  

The walls are darker in this room, so the headboard really helps lighten it up.


And most importantly, it's Ginger approved!
I've had very good luck with everything I've bought on Craigslist.  I just got a great deal on some other furniture for our bedroom too.  I'm not quite finished getting this room the way I want it, of course.  Once I get it all in place, I'll post some pics of the whole room.  I'm also thinking of painting the walls a dove gray to lighten it up even more.  That will be a BIG project though since the Hub doesn't like to help with painting. Maybe I'll put a brush in Ginger's paw and put her cute little patootie to work!  Do you have any Craigslist or thrifted finds that you've transformed?  Tell me all about it in the comments!

I'm linking this post to:
 http://boogieboardcottage.blogspot.com/2014/01/welcome-to-the159th-masterpiece-monday.html#more
http://www.kammyskorner.com/
http://thehappyhousie.com/?p=7315
http://www.lambertslately.com/2014/01/create-it-thursday-38-plus-features.html#more
http://www.livelaughrowe.com/fun-free-valentines-day-printables-live-laugh-linky-96/
http://myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com/

Toodles,


2 comments:

  1. Your headboard looks amazing. What a fabulous deal. I found my old french headboard on Craiglist too. It didn't have rails and was a full size and we have a queen mattress so we attached the headboard to the wall and then hubby attached the footboard to a bench which so far has worked. I would say we both are pleased Craigslist shoppers wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am, very pleased! It's amazing what a little elbow grease and creativity can do. Thanks for checking out my blog and I hope you come back often!

    ReplyDelete